Have you ever come across something so sad, so tragic, that you want to tell others but it made you not?

Because you didn’t want to think about it and thinking about it just made you more sad?

*sigh*

Well, this story is one of those.

This story was so disheartening that we at first decided not to publish it.

But the severity of the cruelty was so intense, we had to let people know.

Meet Patrick, a one year old pit bull terrier.

Patrick’s so-called “owner” decided to starve him.

Not just one or two days… but enough to make him look like this:

Patrick starved to a point where he can BARELY move.

Then one day, the owner decided to throw him down the garbage chute of a 22 story building.

Patrick was minutes away from crushed to death by the trash compactor.

Patrick gathered whatever energy he had left to get attention of the building maintenance worker, who happened to notice him.

Patrick was rushed to the hospital, where he received proper medical treatments, including transfusion:

Chief Bruce Sanchez of Associated Humane Societies said

Patrick cried and moaned the entire ride in the ambulance when he was rescued. He had hypothermia and his body was so cold, it wouldn’t register on the thermometer.

But Patrick was lucky because the trash bag he was in broke his fall in the garbage chute. The bag filled with air and cushioned the fall. It saved his life.

So how did Patrick survive?

An x-ray showed some sort of foreign body. It could be a sock or part of a blanket. It’s not uncommon to find something like this in dogs that are starved. Patrick was so hungry he might have eaten anything to fill his stomach.

AHS (Associated Humane Societies) has set up a fund for reward leading to the arrest and conviction of individual(s) responsible for this horrendouse crime.

If you’d like donate, you can call (973) 824-7080 or mail them a check (address is here).

And if you’d like to sign the petition to bring the attention to local law enforcement and politicians, you can check out Care2Petition site.

Note: If you’d like to be UPDATED on Patrick’s situation, please join our Facebook fan page OR join our mailing list.

We are getting TOO many emails about this story, and cannot possibly respond to everyone.

PawshPal’s Commentary

How could anyone’s brain go SO WRONG that they would starve an innocent dog?

We, at PawshPal, are lovers. We love animals. We love dogs.

So when we see atrocities like this… people throwing puppies into water, setting dogs on fire, training dogs to fight for profit,.. or even hoarding animals… it makes us wonder..

WHO IS THE BEAST?

Us or the dog?

Dogs love us unconditionally.

Why don’t these dumb asses get it? Why do they spit in the face of true, divine love?

As much as we’d like to catch these morons and beat the living sh*t out of them, we know that no justice or peace can come from violence.

No hatred will bring love.

No anger will bring hope.

You cannot add light to darkness with more darkness. Instead, we will be “enlightened”.

Instead of adding fuel to the flame that these idiots have started, we at PawshPal will instead do whatever we can to help further justice, but still hope and believe in the best of humanity.

There are good people that do GREAT things to and for dogs, like these people.

We hope that the people responsible for this get caught, and PROPER (severe but not inhumane) justice be served on them.

PawshPal will donate sales proceeds to Patrick’s charity fund. Click HERE for more information.

(src)

Sign Up for PawshPal's Newsletter
* indicates required

Tagged with:

31 Responses to Starving Dog Found in Garbage Compactor

1. bridgett ward says:

I feel this person should get starved to the same point as Patrick then thrown down the garbage shute 22 floors and see what it is like. That is if they fit because I am sure they do not miss any meals. Scum bag!!!

2. Robin Fischer says:

Why wasn’t everyone in that building questioned???? Someone knew which building’s trash compactor he was thrown from.

3. Sondra says:

Patrick I love you!
    This gentle furry friend has been through Hell and back! He has suffered who knows how many other physical abuses. I pray at night for the Lord to protect abused animals and children. And I feel like this is one answer to my many prayers! Thank You Lord! And of course Thank You to the shelter workers who are working with Patrick to heal him and help him to trust humans again.
    I can think of a million ways to hurt the bastard that did this. But KARMA is coming for him!

4. Donna Sweeney says:

They should at least put up a sign with the picture of the dog when in better health of course in the lobby of the building, where the dog was found, in hopes to find out who the low life owner was.

Hopefully that will help Him & His case, the poor soul.

I bet this dog still loved the idiot owner 2 as They do unconditionally, everyday no matter what happens to them by there owners, on a daily basis.

U’r in better hands now Patrick
    May U be blessed and find U’r perfect new owner quick as possible. I’m sure U will in no time, if not already.
    God Bless.

5. Lydia Buitenwerf says:

The people who did this to this dog arent even human I bet you they never miss out on a meal themselves but they couldn’t even afford to feed there dog. How sick is one persons mind to do something like this to a dog or any animal.They shouldn’t even be able to own any animal for the rest of there lives.Not even I could do something like this it makes my heart sink to the bottom of my stomach. I hope they get caught and get what they deserve, and not just a slap on the wrist. ASS@#@#

6. Stephanie says:

My finace questions why I much rather save a dog/animal before a human. Well have you ever read a story where a animal has done this to its own? No. Humans are sadistic. I have dedicated my whole life to be a vet,people like this inspired me to keep going to not give up when it gets hard bc I know there are people out there like that and these animals need me. There is a speical place in Hell for people like this,and in Hell there is no Mercy for the Dammned. My dogs have put their lives on the line for me(Stray dog came up and started to go in my yard, my dogs are chihuahuas, lined up in front of me, now I knew the dog wasn’t going to attack but if it did I could of been hurt, but they did not know this, all they knew was I could be in danger and put themselves in front of the threat) How many people would do that WITHOUT asking for anything in return?

7. Lydia Buitenwerf says:

Just look at his face it says it all. Just love me and I’ll love you back thats all he wanted and they couldn’t even do that much for him. Patrick hope you get all the love you need and deserve. You have the cutiest face ever one look in you big brown eyes and its love. If I could take you home I would.

8. Maggie says:

Its really just another horrible story the way humans treat animals.
    Definitely put a sign up and try and find the abuser he or she needs to pay for this crime. I have said this on various occasions its a sick person who does this to an innocent animal and where does it stop a child a woman this person needs to be locked up fined whatever made an expamle of.

9. Ara Ghanbarian says:

Where was Patrick found? what city? what building? I’d like to help, my family runs a detective firm and we have affiliates in multiple cities…justice MUST be served for little Patrick!!!!

10. Tammy Culp says:

Can I adopt Patrick? My god all he needs is a love and food which I can provide for him. if so please contact me.

11. taewoo says:

Hey Ara.

city – Newark, NJ
    organization – AHS (Associated Humane Societies)
    phone – (973) 824-7080

12. sickntired says:

This person needs to be in jail without the possibility of parole and beat everyday he is in there then put in solitary with no food for a year. Then beat again for the rest of his sentence everyday. I cried when I saw the eyes on this fury friend. I wish I could hold him..

13. wanda says:

God bless those that make this world a better place in which to live.

14. Love says:

“Officials say someone nearly starved the one-year-old pit bull mix to death, and then tossed his body in a trash bag and down a garbage chute at the Garden Spires Apartments on 1st Street in Newark.”

15. Kimberly Long says:

This story brought tears to my eyes and made my heart feel heavy. How any person can do this to an animal is beyond comprehenshion. I suppose the silver lining to this story is that this little guy was strong enough somehow to fight on and was lucky to be found in order to be able to be saved. I hope he has a better life from here on out… He deserves it!!!!!!!! and the abuser deserves nothing less than many many years in jail!

16. Michael says:

May I adopt him?

17. Becky says:

This is so horrible!. I’m sorry but I do believe in severe punishment for this type of people.
    When someone is capable of doing something so bad and cruel to an animal, they’ll do it to anybody if they get the chance, not just animals. I wish I COULD DO THE SAME TO THEM!! I’m so happy Patrick is ok.!!

18. Diane Hajek Mason says:

GOD has a special purpose for Patrick. For Patrick to be alive for everything he suffered, GOD definately has special plans for Patrick. Patrick has already touched my heart. Love you Patrick and you do have the luck of the Irish!

19. D Anderson says:

I wish these people would understand there is a way out. If you can NOT keep your PET find someone who can. SAVE A PET

20. Maryann Kobierowski says:

This is an absolute disgrace!!!!! How can anyone do something like this-how awful!!!! These animals are helpless and cannot speak for themselves! Once again I will ask what will happen to the person who is responsible for this? Something needs to start happening to these ruthless people for what they do-there needs to be a punishment! I hope the person that is responsible for this rots in hell!!!!

21. Hyeacheeg says:

God bless all those in helping save Patrick’s life!! Such a horrific premeditated crime is beyond 4givness!(the irony behind this garbage,throwing this beautiful, innocent dog down the trash compactor-wtf!) God please give Patrick the loving, protective home he,as ALL God’s creatures deserve! @ ARA> may u b able 2 help in finding these “esheggs”

22. Janie says:

please give us news reguraly on how he,s doing !!!

23. Wayne.Pudwell says:

I have seen starved animals before, but my god, never this bad and still live through it.It makes me so freaking mad to think that such a low life could do this.This story about Patrick really brought tears to my eyes. The person or people capable of doing this should be jailed for life or hung by the neck until dead. I wish you have a better life Patrick.

24. IDALID says:

IM GLAD PATRIC IS GETTING TAKEN CARE OF NOW HE DIDN’T DESERVE THIS NO DOG DOES,BUT IT SEEMS LIKE PITBULLS ARE THE ONES BEING MISTREATED NOW DAYS JUST WAY TOO SAD.AND THEY SAY PIT ARE MEAN PLEASE THERE THE LOYALEST DOG EVER,IN THIS WORLD THERE BAD PEOPLE BUT NOT EVERYONE IS A BAD PERSON JUST LIKE DOGS THERE BAD DOGS WITH BAD OWNER AND GOOD DOGS WITH GOOD OWNERS.PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN AND STOP JUDGING DOGS JUDGE YOURSELF MAYBE IS YOU AND NOT THE DOG.JUST IMAGEN IF WE WERE TO GET PUT DOWN JUST BECAUSE OUR RACE OR BECAUSE YOUR ATTITUDE.JUST WHEN IS PEOPLE GONNA STOP BEING CRUEL TO DOGS AND STOP JUDGING PITBULLS JUDGE THE OWNER NOT THE PITT,JUDGE THE OWNER THE OWNER SHOULD KNOW BETTER AND ITS NOT FAIR FOR THE PITBULLS TO PAY FOR OUR CONSEQUENCES AND MISTAKES..PLEASE GIVA CHANCE TO A PITBULL AND TREAT IT RIGHT

25. cathy says:

The dog found in the trash my god poor thing, the woman that abused and neglected that poor dog should be punished to the max, and the MAX for abusing animals IS NOT ENOUGH, they are living beings, come on judges get some balls and PUNISH people who abuse animals and people with penalties to scare them to STOP HURTING ANIMALS

26. Brandy says:

I think people involved for animal abuse should have the same thing done to them whatever they do to the animal,but it would be a huge crime wouldn’t it? why don’t they take it that seriously when the abuse has to do with an animal? they have a brain, a lungs kidney……….& a HEART!!I believe it would help if the punishment for animal abusers would be harsher, like starting with not a fine or jail time but both, a big fine and alot of jail time, and part of the fine money should go towards the animal shelter, then people may think twice B4 they decide to abuse an animal,

27. Melissa Russell says:

Im so glad you are being taken care of Patrick and Im thankful for the people who are caring for you right now….I hope that bitch gets what she deserves for how she treated you! Keep getting better Patrick Ill be thinking of you :)

28. Shirley says:

Thank you to all the folks who have love and passion for all animals who have been abused!!! Now as for what kind of punishment should be handed to the scum who did this, I SAY HANG THE BASTARDS AND STARVE THEM AND NO WATER EITHER, LET THEM FEEL WHAT THIS PRECIOUS DOG HAD TO GO THROUGH!!! It just sickens me to know that abusers get little or no time for their actions. Please keep me informed on the recovery of this dog because it really needs lots of love and care!!! The video just about knocked me over and really brought tears to me, but i will continue to pray for this dog as well as all the animals….MAY GOD BE WITH YOU ALL:)

29. Jamie says:

This story really breaks my heart. It made me cry. I am an animal lover all the way. And this really angers me. Who ever hurts any animal is honestly not even human. They are heartless!!! Come on how would they like to be treated like that. People are getting away to easily for abusing animals and its not right. Thank God Patrick is alive. Whoever gets to adopt Patrick is truely lucky!! I love you Patrick!

30. Patrizia says:

Mandi,

How do you know that that woman whose Facebook page you have uploaded here is Patrick’s original owner (the one who starved him)? And does anyone know whether she is being prosecuted now?

I’d love an update on this. She sounds retarded and obviously not fit to live on the outside.

P