… instead of adopting.

Yes, you know the issue.

There are crapload of dogs in shelters.

And there are even more dogs coming out of puppy mills that actually profit from them.

Adopting a dog is the right thing to do.

Buying a dog only helps the puppy mills’ bottom line.

But Whoopi feels differently:

You don’t know what you’re getting when you get a pookie-dingle-doodle from the pound

… (not) knowing what you are buying when you buy a purebred

Of course, the media had a hay-day with this.

For example, the Hollywood Dog blog wrote:

She was saying that when you get a pound dog, you might be in for problems, like you might get stuck with a dog who has respiratory problems because of a genetic malformation.

Or worse, you might get stuck with a mutt.

Whoopi, with all due respect, YOU are a mutt.

And you, yourself, don’t come from some fancy breeder and you look like you might have less than perfect genes, like most of us.

I would think that someone like you, who has a lot in common with us pound dogs, someone who has been through hard times and overcome those hard times, would be a little more understanding of what it means to come from the wrong side of the tracks.

Yeah, you DO have the right to buy a dog.

But does that make it right?

You know, people had the right to buy slaves in this country too but it wasn’t right.

I know you don’t want to be told what to do.

As a rebuttal, Whoopi later said:

“Pet Store Issue-we discussed one state that wanted to close all pet stores.

I have friends who own pet stores; they love their animals and insure their health and well being.

Mills should be shut down.

All agree but don’t paint everyone with the same brush.

That was my point.”

This isn’t the first time Whoopi was in trouble with dog issues.

In 2007, when Michael Vick was charged with animal cruelty (dog fighting), Whoopi said:

He’s from the South, from the Deep South … This is part of his cultural upbringing.

For a lot of people, dogs are sport.

Instead of just saying Vick is a beast and he’s a monster, this is a kid who comes from a culture where this is not questioned.

Of course, were people mad At Whoopi?

You betcha.

But Whoopi clarifies:

Here are some questions for you readers.

1. Is Whoopi truly the anti-dog devil or is she misunderstood?
  2. Was she truly wrong, or was she persecuted for exercising her freedom of speech and pursuit of happiness?

(src and src )

Sign Up for PawshPal's Newsletter
* indicates required

Tagged with:

9 Responses to Whoopi Goldberg: “It’s My Right to Buy a Dog”

1. Holly Krantz says:

Whoopi has stuck her big foot in her big mouth on more than a few occasions. But, the puppy store vs. the shelter is in my opinion a topic she was way wrong on as well. The Michael Vick topic was another. She is of the same mindset of the people that operate the mills as far as I’m concerned. If she doesn’t see a problem here !!

2. Zoe says:

Why can’t people listen properly and who says Whoopi is wrong she has a right to her thoughts and views as we all do everyone needs to lighten up. I love dogs up until recently 3 of them an Irishwolf hound a german shepherd cross and the cutest shitzu mix. My dear wolfy died 4 months ago at the ripe old age of 10 years old.

Anyway all I want to say is will people stop turning what people say around to suit their views JUST LISTEN and make up your own mind don’t be influenced by lies and hear say!!!

I think your marvelous Whoopi always have!!

3. Sondra says:

I am a Whoopi fan. She is very funny. Having said that I do not agree with her point of view and I hope that does not mean that she would buy a puppy or any animal from a mill. I honestly think mills are a big problem in this world. There is enough problems with animal abuse from owners(who should never own a pet to begin with)and we don’t need people making a profit from these horrid places! I am sure Whoppi is not the kind of person to encourage such behavior!

4. BJ says:

Whoopi should just keep her mouth shut!

5. Diane Hajek Mason says:

I think that Whoopi should educate herself about the puppymill problem in America, especially in Amish country in Pennsylvania. Then, she might think differently about pet stores.

6. Suzanne says:

Think about this Whoopi: Shelter dogs go through extensive evaluations on behavior as well as medical before being placed up for adoption. If you desire a full breed dog, there are SEVERAL breed specific rescues to choose from. Pure bred dogs are in shelters too. “DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!”

7. Roberta Fehr says:

There are so many pets stores that buy animals from these puppy mills. They, of course, don’t advertise this because it would hurt they businesses. My girlfriend bought a 4 year miniature dashhound, from Petland, who was from a puppy mill. When she got her home and for the first 4 months this poor girl would hide under the beds when people went to touch her. Now she is so happy, loved and healthy you would not even know its the same dog. EDUCATION AND RESEARCH IS KEY WHEN PAYING ANY ANIMAL.

8. Bronwyne says:

Please watch this short clip that I made in response to Whoopie’s comments. I rescue the breeding parents.

Bronwyne

9. Jene Nelson says:

I sent Ms. Goldberg a copy of my documentary, I Breathe. It focuses on the multi billion dollar commercial dog breeding industry. I hope she will watch it. Perhaps she will change her views.